Friday, August 24, 2012

Amazing Crock Pot Roast Recipe

I've had a few requests for this recipe so I'm going to post it here for future reference. I've made this roast twice and it was SO GOOD both times! One tip I have is to go to the store EARLY in the morning. My grocery store usually marks down meat approaching the sell-by date, sometimes up to half off. Roast can be expensive, a 3-4lb cut is usually $12 or more but I can get it for around $7.

Ingredients:
- 4 lb chuck roast ( or whatever cut you like best), any larger size might not fit into the crock pot easily.
-1 packet of dry Ranch dressing mix
-1 packet of dry zesty Italian dressing mix
-2 packets of dry brown gravy mix (set one aside to thicken up the drippings after cooking to make gravy)
-1/2 to 2/3 cup of water (the bigger the cut of meat the more water I'd use)
-a few pats of butter (if you'd like, it's certainly fine to omit it)

Direction:
-Place the roast into the bottom of the crock pot.
-In a bowl, combine the dry ranch, Italian & 1 packet of the brown gravy mixes. Sprinkle the mix over the top of the meat & pat down.
-Place a few pats of butter onto of the meat, over the dry mix.
-Pour the water around the edges of the crock pot but not directly over the top of the meat.
-Cook on low for 8 hours.
-Strain the drippings and prepare the extra brown gravy packet according to the directions, substituting half of the water with drippings.

It's so good with mashed potatoes or hot egg noodles. I usually serve a green salad on the side and King's Hawaiian rolls. Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment