Saturday, September 29, 2012

Cake Construction

Scotty asked for an Angry Bird birthday cake this year. I decided to try using fondant for the first time. It certainly wasn't easy but it turned out well and I'm really happy with the outcome. The recipe was simple enough, I Googled 'easy marshmallow fondant'. Basically, it's a marshmallows, powdered sugar, water & vanilla. The ingredients were the easy part, actually mixing it & getting the right consistancy was not easy! My arms ached for days! The birds & pigs are fondant, the logs of wood were sugar wafer cookies rolled up in fondant, and I used gel food colors mixed with vanilla extract to 'paint' them all. I made them 3 days early, let them air dry most of an afternoon and then refridgerated them for 2 days. I made the cake a day before the party and frosted it the day of. Scotty drafted a picture for me to use as a reference and I took pictures as I went to remember how to construct it at the party. I didn't add the fondant pieces until just before the party began. It turned out great, Scotty & his pals loved it!







No comments:

Post a Comment